Gateway 1 Unit 5: Celebrations
The vocabulary of the Unit
- The birth of the Prophet
- Aid Al Adha
- Islamic New year
- Imilchil festival
- Festival of roses
- Assila’s Festival
- Wax lantern procession
- Independence day
- The green march
- The throne day
- the independence day
- The New year
Functions /Communication Skills: Expressing Promise
Promises can be expressed with one of the following:
- “I promise to come on time.“ a student said to his teacher.
- “I will take you to the zoo if you keep calm.“ a mother to her little son.
- She promised not to forget the copybook.
- “I swear, I will come on time.“
Relative pronouns are used to link/relate two ideas in a one sentence
|The relative pronoun||Refers to||Examples|
|Who||Person||The man who is sitting there is my friend’s father|
|Whose||Possession||– The girl whose scarf is blue is my friend|
– This is George, whose brother went to school with me.
|Which||Things||The car, which was a taxi, exploded|
|Where||Place||I love the place where I grew up|
|Whom||Persons( generally after prepositions)||This is George’s brother, with whom I went to school.|
|That||Persons/things||I have a friend that I love a lot.|
She has a car that she cares a lot for
Form: the passive of an active tense is formed by putting the verb to be into the same tense as the active verb and adding the past participle of the active verb:
BE + VERB (PAST PARTICIPLE )
- Active: we keep the butter here [ subject + verb + Object ]
- Passive: the butter is kept here [object + BE + VERB (PAST PARTICIPLE ) + subject]
Active tenses and their passive equivalents
A good paragraph should include at least the following elements:
- A clear topic sentence.
- Enough supporting sentences
- A concluding sentence
- Linking words
- Avoid mistakes in:
Example of a good paragraph
Bullying is a big problem on social media. It is because bullies can hide behind fake profiles easily. This makes some people feel really bad and even think about hurting themselves. But not all social media is terrible. Some people use it to help others who are being bullied. We need to learn more about how bad bullying is and work together to make social media safer.